Saturday, October 25, 2008

“I Wished I Had a Tape Recorder” by Chris; 22 Oct 2008

I wished I had a recorder so I could share just a little of this joy with all of you…

As I am sitting here typing I am listening to a group of high school girls next door singing and it is literally bringing tears to my eyes. It isn’t that they are the greatest singers or that the song has moving lyrics (I can’t understand a word they’re singing). They are celebrating someone’s birthday and I do recognize the “Happy Birthday to you” tune and “how old are you” .

At the beginning of the school year we held an assembly to make announcements, to introduce new faculty, etc. At the beginning the students at 150 plus strong broke into an impromptu solo and respond song that went on for 10 minutes. Standing in front of all those students I had to fight to keep the tears back.

Not being musically inclined in any way, I am amazed at how effected I am by music, especially this music. As I said I have no idea of the meaning behind the lyrics but to me it sounds like pure joy. All day long I see how hard these people work just to feed themselves & their families and that they can simply break into a song will forever astound me. It is always loud and ruckus and beautiful. Eye ye fe! (It is beautiful)!

1 comment:

Pacer Sharon said...

Hi Tammi and Chris -- Thanks for sharing some details of your life in Peace Corps.

Hello from Sharon McNary, an RPCV Bolivia-12 1995-97. I now work at Marketplace, the business show on public radio.

Say, I'm trying to reach international readers with questions about how they are feeling the global financial crisis, if at all.

Would you be willing to answer a few questions and perhaps cirulcate the link to them? I'm especially interested to see how developing nations are being affected.

ome of the people who respond may be contacted by a reporter, but initial responses are confidential. Hope you are doing well, and that you can help me out.

Here's a link to the questions:
www.tinyurl.com/MarketplaceFinance

Thanks,

Sharon McNary
smcnary@marketplace.org